- Category: Duck and Chicken Recipes
- 1 Whole Chicken, 4-5 lbs
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, rosemary, thyme)
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF with rack in center.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the chicken.
Spatchcock the chicken:
- Place the bird breast side down on a cutting board. Using poultry shears or a large, sharp knife, cut along one side of the backbone.
- Pull the bird open slightly and cur down the other side of the backbone to free it. Reserve for making stock or discard.
- Turn the bird breast side up and open it as flat as possible. Press firmly to break the breastbone and flatten the bird.
- Add the shallots, garlic and herbs to the butter and mix well.
- Dot the butter onto the spatchcock chicken.
- Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes, turning them over half way through. Turn again and baste with the cooking juices.
- Roast until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. The total cooking time will depend on a variety of factors, including the weight of your chicken and how heat circulates within your specific oven.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.