Goat shanks are not for the dainty. Goat shanks are served whole, a leg on a plate – think cave cuisine! These shanks are permeated with North African spices; they radiate cinnamon, thyme, coriander and lemon – an exotic harmony.
- Category: Goat Recipes
- 4 Goat Shanks
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Heat the grill: Indirect heat, medium (325°-350°)
- Rub the goat shanks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the rub mixture.
- Mix the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and tomato paste in a bowl; set aside.
- Place the goat shanks on the grill away from the heat, cover the grill and cook until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a shank registers about 155°F, about 1 hour. Turn and baste with parsley sauce 3 or 4 times while cooking.
- Serve one shank per person.